I can never figure out why our American brethren call chicken wings “Buffalo” wings…??? What I DO know is that, done well, they are sensational and make a great starter to any party. Kids love ’em too.
This is TV star Jimmy Kimmel’s own recipe, reproduced from the Bradley Smoker website. I’ve adjusted the measurements to include metric numbers – Enjoy!
- 5lbs/2.25kgs Chicken Wings. This is enough to fill two racks of your Bradley Smoker.
Jimmy’s Tip: Frozen wings from the supermarket are cheaper and work just as well.
For the Marinade:
- 2 cups Italian Style Salad Dressing
- 1/4 – 1/2 cups Hot Sauce. Any hot sauce will do.
Wing Sauce: (reserve some for dipping, or increase amounts)
- 2 cups BBQ sauce, use your favourite
- 1/4 – 1/2 cups Hot Sauce
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce:
- 16oz/500ml bottle of Ranch Dressing; your favorite (Jimmy prefers Bob’s Big Boy Blue Cheese Dressing)
- 2.5oz/75g blue cheese. Add more to taste.
- Mix the hot sauce and salad dressing in a non-reactive bowl. Adjust the hot sauce to your particular taste.
Smiddy’s Tip: A non-reactive bowl is anything NOT made from metal – i.e. plastic, ceramic, etc.
- If you are using frozen wings, make sure wings are completely thawed. Pat dry with paper towels. Place wings in plastic bag(s) and pour in enough marinade to coat all wings evenly.
Jimmy’s Tip: Important, just add enough marinade to coat the wings, do not ‘drown’ the wings in the marinade. Add marinade in small amounts, and shake bag until all wings are lightly coated.
- Place in refrigerator and marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove wings from the refrigerator, and place wings on racks that have been oiled. Allow to sit at room temperature for one hour. In the meantime, preheat your Bradley to 220°F/104C. Load the wings when your Bradley has reached the proper temperature.
- Smoke wings, applying smoke for the first 1 hour and 40 minutes to 2 hours using your favorite bisquettes.
- When the wings are fully smoked (takes about 2 1/2 hours – juices will run clear when pierced), transfer them to a hot grill, and grill for an additional 4-6 minutes, turning once. This makes them crispy and the grill marks always look appetizing.
- While the wings are smoking mix the hot sauce and your favorite BBQ sauce in a non-reactive bowl.
- Adjust the hot sauce to your particular taste. After grilling wings, place wings in a large non-reactive bowl. Add as much or as little sauce as you like, and stir wings until all are evenly coated.
- For the Blue Cheese dipping sauce, mix the ranch style dressing with the crumbled blue cheese. Adjust the amount of blue cheese to your particular taste.
- Eat – Repeat every weekend.